Monday, June 4, 2012

Spring Update

Now for what happened in the spring. As I was saying, the ice mostly melted by early March, and sure enough, the temperatures were unseasonably warm. As a result, the trout fly hatches were occurring a few weeks ahead of schedule, and sure enough, the blue-winged olive hatch was happening on Spring Creek, by late February. It is a fun hatch to fish, but timing is key, since the hatch occurs during the heat of the day, from about noon to two or threeish. My highlight of this hatch was an 18 inch brown trout I caught in a back pocket of the Benner Springs section, unfortunately the camera didn't work. 

In late March, the Grannom Caddis hatch began occurring, mostly on the Little Juniata River. It was a great time, we landed hundreds of trout in the two week hatch, with a great amount over 15 inches. Then, I received a shock. I was visiting the Alma Matter for the weekend, when my phone buzzed in my pocket. It was my father, telling me about the great day of fishing he just had. More importantly, however, he mentioned that the sulphurs (my favorite hatch) were coming off. In Mid April!!! It was kind of eerie, but at the same time I was stoked. I hooked multiple fish in the 20 inch range, including this boomer of a rainbow trout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment