Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Coming Through In the Clutch

Well, yet again, headed out to Sayers to fish the Hunter's Run roadbed this evening. I guess I have settled into a routine of the Keep It Super Simple phenomenon

Anyway, arrived, and there was a very strong wind blowing towards the mountain side. The action started slow, as I stuck with the same duo as the other night, the watermelon Senko worm, and the Powerminnow jig. During the first half hour, managed nothing but a small crappie. Then, finally, I was slowly reeling my jig in along the bottom, felt some resistance, until I noticed my line going straight out. After setting the hook, I was trapped in a fight that lasted several minutes, and ended up with me boating a big, green, 17 inch, two and a half pound smallmouth.



Over the course of the next hour or so, I almost had a heart attack after missing several nice fish, and only managing a few dink largemouth. My streak of bad luck broke, when I hooked into a nice 15 inch largemouth, on the good ole' trust Senko worm. A few casts later, I had another one of the same size inhale the jig.


I feel as though I have found a simple, solve all technique for fishing this section: set up on the side of the road opposite the wind, and gradually drift the entire length.

I also have a hypothesis I would like to test. Some say that the giant (I mean bucketmouth) bass come out at night, although I have yet to catch any of these when the sun goes down. However, I notice that there are many schools of small bluegill rising at night. I am thinking about sticking around at night, and throwing my bluegill colored crankbait, and see if I can't fool a fat ass bass..

Will let you all how it goes. Until then, tight lines and God bless!!

- JP

 

No comments:

Post a Comment